WHAT IS THERE TO DO WHEN I VISIT?
4 night/5 day itinerary suggestion. Start each day with an inn-credible Blue Ridge breakfast at the Claiborne House including fresh fruit, juice, coffee, eggs, French toast topped with red ripe juicy strawberries and sausage or maybe blueberry pancakes and thick smokey bacon.
- Day 1 Check in, wander our beautiful grounds or sit by the pond, relax on the porch with an iced cold tea or soda. Dine at El Rio Mexican Grill on our corner (full bar), or walk to Hema’s Italian one block away (no alcohol). Then wander a couple blocks to The Harvester Performance Center for some live music (big name bands and performers play weekly).
- Day 2 Wine Tasting at Mountain Wineries – we recommend Chateau Morrisette Winery and Villa Appalaccia for magnificent views from The Blue Ridge Parkway and fantastic food. Chateau Morrisette is located 1 hour scenic drive from us up on the BRP at Mile Post 171 and Villa Appalaccia just one mile from that at MP 170.
- Day 3 Prepare your heart strings as you visit National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, placed in Bedford as they lost more men per capita than any other place in the USA. Bedford Boys was the book written about this brave community; the movie Saving Private Ryan made after these boys. Enjoy dinner in an old train depot the Olde Liberty Station for fantastic food and the award winning cheesecake. Or stop at Homestead Creamery on the way home in Burnt Chimney for fresh home churned ice cream (no additives) you can see the dairy cows out back. Bedford is a 50 minute drive, Homstead Creamery is a 10 minute drive.
- Day 4 Visit downtown Roanoke for the fun Taubman Art Museum, transportation museum, O. Winston Link museum, and some fantastic restaurants (Shellie recommends Lucky and Fortuna downtown), many feature live music in the evenings. Don’t forget your camera and go to the famous Texas Tavern (trust us on this one). Park and walk to all of these places. Parking is free after 5pm in certain lots. Walk the famous Farmers Market, take in a live show at Mill Mountain Theater and end your evening at Mill Mountain Coffee. A must do without leaving Roanoke (and in fact can be a half day venture is go to Black Dog Salvage (home of The Dawgs from the hit TV show Salvage Dawgs), if you do that then you need to have a burger at Jack Brown’s Burger and Beer Joint (to see the bar comprised of an old pick-up truck from Salvage Dawgs. Downtown Roanoke is a 25 minute drive.
- Day 5 Check out, Antique shopping awaits you. Our local Blue Ridge Antique Center is just 3 miles North of the B&B. Or wander to the three local antique stores around town before check out time.
Please see our sites of interest page for more information on places to visit, here’s a sampling – these are day tripping sites (not in our town):
- Visit Patrick Henry’s house Red Hill instigator of the Revolution
- Thomas Jefferson’s Summer home Poplar Forest
- Appomattox Courthouse where the Civil War ended
- Virginia Military Institute and the home of Stonewall Jackson
- Lynchburg (ski year round, museums, civil war sites)
- Blue Ridge Institute and Farm Museum
- Mountain wineries with festivals and events
- Virginia Safari Park drive thru fun
- Mayberry Drive Inn Theater with 50’s Diner
- Swimming and sun bathing at our lakes and our beaches
- Horseback riding
- Golfing World Famous Courses The Westlake at Smith Mountain Lake
- Boat Rentals – Kayaking, Pontoon, Speedboat, Jet Ski, Sailing
- Fishing – Citation brown trout in our rivers or citation Striper in our lakes
- Tour The Blue Ridge Parkway picnic and sight-see (lookout for bears and turkey and deer!)
- Stock Car Racing in The Blue Ridge at Franklin County Speedway (Sat nights Jun-Oct) and NASCAR at Martinsville Speedway (the paper clip!)
- Crooked Road: Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail with our local wing-dings walk to Harvester Performance Center in downtown Rocky Mount for live music, or drive up the famous Shooting Creek Road past the moonshiners to reach the Floyd Friday Night Jamboree. Dine family style at The Historic Pine Tavern in Floyd or eclectic Oddfellas Cantina.
- Visit award winning Wineries up near Floyd on the Blue Ridge Parkway or near Bent Mountain.
- Enjoy the best Restaurants in downtown Roanoke. (Museums, Music and more)
- In a Day’s Drive – more ideas of cool places to visit!